Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Arnold,

It's been almost seven months but I'm adding your 1/27/09 letter to the mix here:

Hi Tyrone,Happy 2009! How was your reading in Brooklyn this past weekend? I wish i could have been there, but I am in California as I am teaching at Stanford right now. You and Tom are inspiring poets. I hope that we can include Tom in the newspaper project.I have not been able to keep up with our blog, but I keep all this info in my head for when we meet to talk about this project. I have been traveling, teaching and applying for a lot of grants. How are things with you and what does your year look like?I guess one important thing to say is that I see a major funder of this project as being Creative Capital but they are taking two years off from funding and when they start again they may not be funding literary projects, but visual art projects.I have identified an information designer who would like to design the financial pages of the newspaper. He is friend of mine who is doing an MFA in interactive design at UCLA right now. His name is Christo Allegre.Christo introduced me to Asad Raza the theorist and writer who i mentioned earlier as someone to contribute to the sports pages.Also I have been thinking of asking Kara Walker and Laylah to collaborate on the comics pages.I am friends with Arnold Rampersad and I think he could contribute a serious piece of literary criticism or literary biography that would be great. He wrote the most recent book on Ralph Ellison. I can't wait to read this book.Also do you know Hilton Als. I think he'd be great. I really enjoy his fiction and memoir writing.Other artists/writers who i'd like to see involved are Brian Bauman and Tonya Foster.Hopefully we can meet this year and begin to flesh out our vision for this project and start to move forward so that we can begin to look for funding.More soon and love,Arnold

No comments: